Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Products


Hmm… as I begin the laborious task of packing for our trip to Disney World, Kevin asks me if I really need all of that.  “That” he is referring to are products.  Products for me range from makeup and hair stuff to smaller things like q-tips and tissues.  Of course, I unequivocally answered with a resounding YES!

Although my answer was yes, it has made me think; do I “really” need all of that?  At first glance I want to say yes, I need every single solitary bit of it.  But maybe not, now I am thinking what could I not go a day without.  Seeing as how I have a wide assortment of stuff I am going to sort it into groups and start with the hair group.

Hair is such a small word that takes up so much of my time.  As a girl with naturally wavy/curly hair, I tend to attempt to tame my mane into submission.  Ha! Each day I have choices, would I like to be nice and straight, my preferable hair?  What about embrace my natural waves/curls and letting them fly free, the easiest hair.  Last but not least, Kevin has a soft spot for those big soft waves created by a curling wand.  (Reminder he is a product of his 80’s environment: big hair, bad fashion, great music.)

Since I am talking hair, there is no way I could possibly discuss it without giving a shout out to the best stylist ever: Nikki!  She is like Mary Poppins.  You never know what she can make happen and practically perfect in every way.   Not to mention she manages fabulous with the definitely unmanageable and unfabulous.

Like any fashionable chica good shampoo and conditioner are a must.  I swap back and forth between Biolage – love that smell and Pantene- love that price.

For that poker straight hair, which I absolutely adore, my flat iron is an essential.  I could never even attempt a half way decent straight look without it.  I used to swear by my beloved chi, but one to many drops to the floor and alas it had to be laid to rest.  I have yet to find one just like that one so I am using my old standby.  It’s been with me a long time and she’s PINK!  To keep the frizzies at bay I use G&K serum and it is off the chain when it comes to frizz.  Last but not least is my brush.  Nothing special about her, she is just an average drugstore hair brush, who does her job well. 

For that natural wavy/curly wild look, Bumble & Bumble surf spray is the way to go.  Soon as hair has air dried a little, spritz it in and follow up with some Big Sexy hair and I am DONE!  I like to pull the front back a little from my face with small bobby pins. Like I said easiest of all to maintain and when the day calls for 99% humidity sometimes it is the only option.

Some days though I just feel the need for those soft waves.  For those I start with got2be mousse in wet hair.  Blow dry, separate and section with clips then use my curling wand on each section.  It really does not take any longer than straightening it; sometimes it’s actually faster because I don’t feel the need for it to be completely perfect.  And finish it off with again my favorite hair spray Big Sexy hair.  The bobby pins come into play here as well.  I just find that I can not stand my hair in my face while I am trying to accomplish something.

Wow.  Okay, sure that seems like a lot of products, but each does a different job and I need each one of them to accomplish something completely different.  And while, I am not one to branch out about many things, I do like to wear my hair in many ways.  So all in all I need each one of those products.  You can see each hairstyle in the post below.

My second group is makeup, but I fear if I was to show the entire word how much makeup I have I may be judged harshly.  I have a small obsession with eye shadows.  I feel the need to have LOTS of them in a wide assortment of colors.  So rather than put it out there, that group must wait for another day.  This post is long enough, anyway!

Those are my favorite hair products.  What about you?  What do you need to make your world function?  

2 comments:

princessapr said...

I'm the opposite. I have many items, but when I travel, I limit it down to sample sizes (except my blush) and usually wear my hair back. I'm a crazy packer.

I do live with someone who brings more products than anything else. It's ridiculous, but he's in charge of his own crap.

Kelli Carter said...

April, I so over pack for everything. I know it drives Kevin crazy, but I have such a hard time making up my mind. Since we drive to Disney it is easier. Now if we were flying I would just have to decide I am wearing my hair this one way and stick to it. As for pulling my hair back, I wish I could wear my hair up, but it is so heavy that after about an hour I have a headache. Sometimes I just deal with it though, cause I need to have it away from me.